Friday, August 12, 2011

S'mores Pie

s'mores pie

Oh, so you want to hear about s'mores pie, do you? Don't worry, I'll answer for you. Yes, you do. I do not fancy myself a huge s'mores fan in general. I know I'm supposed to get excited over the whole graham, chocolate, marshmallow thing, much like I am supposed to jump on the peanut butter and chocolate or jelly bandwagon but for some reason I can't. I'd much rather just have a fat slice of chocolate cake, straight up. Something funny happens though when you take those same old combinations and make something new and unexpected out of them. Like this s'mores pie, for example. I see it and seriously cannot stop thinking about it. I try to rationalize and tell myself that I don't even really like the s'mores combination, but pictures are persuading. Suddenly I find myself pining for that pie convinced it will be my most favorite thing ever if I could just make it. So I do. That night.

My husband Jeremy was getting his weekly massage (he's training and it's definitely not a luxury "frou frou" massage. His muscles are getting worked over and it hurts). My friend Melissa is a masseuse so she works on him in the living room in the middle of everything and we usually all chat. Except this night I only had pie on the brain and there was no talking to be had. I checked my pantry and to my surprise had every ingredient needed. I went to work. I crushed graham crackers and mixed them with melted butter and pressed it into a crust. I warmed cream and milk in a sauce pan, then mixed in chocolate until it melted and became smooth. Then I added eggs and a pinch of salt and poured it into the crust and baked it. When it was done I piled marshmallows up on top and broiled them until they were a melty browned mess. Then I shoved it in the refrigerator so everything could firm up and waited, like a good girl, until the following day to try it.

s'mores pie

It was after lunch when I went to take the pie out of the refrigerator. I was stuffed after eating all of my veggie burger and sweet potato fries at lunch and eating the pie was not even going to happen until later that night. But, the lighting is good in my kitchen in the afternoon and so I decided to take a few pictures. I cut a thick, fudgy piece out. It was glorious. I drizzled it in chocolate sauce and took a bite. I was full, but how could I not?! Ugh-it was delicious and smooth and deeply chocolate, like a truffle. I delighted in thinking that in a few short hours after dinner this pie would be all mine. Then, a horrible thought. Where would I be after dinner that night? Holy crap, I had a date with my friend Kel that night. We were going to be out until late...much too late to eat this pie. Okay, the next day then, where would I be the next day? Shoot. Jeremy's race was that night and we always go out to dinner afterwards and order dessert wherever we are. I started to sweat a little. The day after that, maybe? I could not believe when I realized that we were planning to leave that day for Jeremy's huge Leadville race. The race he has been training for all year and was not about to miss for pie. We would be gone. The pie and I were not to be. I know you are asking yourself why didn't I just eat it right then and there, or like, for breakfast or something. Let me set the record straight. I cannot eat such sweet things in the morning. I will feel sick all day long, so that is out. And If I am going to "waste" 400 calories on a piece of pie (I have no idea how much it is in reality, that's just my guess) I am going to damn well enjoy it. It is going to be an experience. I am not willing to just scarf a piece down between meals unless my kids are napping, I have a comfy chair and Oprah is on and Oprah is not on anymore, so this scenario is impossible.

I gave the pie away to a loving home and the first person to claim it when I posted it's pic on facebook. It was hard, but I had to do it. Oh, and I realize that throwing out a sentence in which I remind you how many calories there are in pie does not help motivate you to make it. But, I can say that this s'mores pie is really rich and satisfying so a small piece is sufficient and all you need. The problem lies after you have had your small piece and then keep having them day after day until it's gone. Because you will eat this until it's gone. Just do yourself a favor and invite a lot of people over so you don't have to worry about it. Or, eat the whole pie in the closet by yourself. I am not judging.

S'mores Pie
adapted from How Sweet It Is

Yields 1 9-inch pie

2 cups graham cracker crumbs (I crush mine in a food processor)
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
3/4 cup heavy cream
3/4 cup whole milk
10 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
Pinch of salt
2 eggs, whisked
1 bag of marshmallows (large or small)
chocolate sauce for serving, (optional)

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees

For crust: Mix together the the graham cracker crumbs and melted butter until evenly coated. Press mixture into a 9-inch pie plate. Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until fragrant and the crust is beginning to brown. Keep oven warm.

For the filling: In a medium saucepan, whisk together the cream and milk. Warm over medium-low heat. Add in chocolate and stir until chocolate has melted and is smooth. Slowly add whisked eggs and mix until smooth.

Pour chocolate filling into baked pie crust. bake for 15-20 minutes, or until chocolate filling is set and does not move when pie is lightly shaken. (This took mine about 25 minutes). Remove from oven.

If using large marshmallows, use kitchen shears to cut them in half. Place halves in concentric circles over the top of the pie until covered. If using mini marshmallows, just pile them evenly on top of the pie. Bigger marshmallows are more attractive.

Set oven to broil. place pie until broiler and lightly toast the marshmallows. this can take anywhere from 1-4 minutes, so watch those marshmallows closely!

Chill pie in the refrigerator to set for 2-4 hours or overnight. Serve cold or slightly warmed. Heat the pie slices in a microwave for 7-10 seconds before serving for best results. Drizzle with chocolate sauce if desired.

I found the way to get the cleanest slices is to spray the knife with non-stick cooking spray and cut the cold pie into slices. You can also run the knife under hot water and leave the knife wet so the marshmallow doesn't stick to it.

5 comments:

  1. That pie DID go to a loving home!!! We are loving on that pie like it's going OUT of style!!! :) SOOO GOOD people!!! Thanks Krysta for sacrificing the calories and shoving them this way. I'm running extra just to eat that slice during Ellen!!!! :) mmmmmmmmmm people....mmmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUMMEEEEE. That is all. Can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG this looks amazing!!!! I cant wait to try it!!

    Lots of Love,
    Simplycamylla.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks phenomenal! I've been wanting to make a s'mores cookie, but this looks way better! I'm going to see if I can find time this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Krysta - thank you so much for the award! I'm so excited about it & you are so sweet. I'm so glad that you like my blog and follow it :) In case you didn't see, you won the Larabar giveaway! Please email me your address, so I can mail the Larabars. I think you'll like them!

    ReplyDelete