Thursday, January 19, 2012

Frozen Chocolate and Peanut Butter Banana Bites

Frozen banana bites

When I was younger my Grandma Grillo used to take me to Knott's Berry Farm. For all you non-Southern Californian's out there, Knott's is a theme park, like Disneyland, but on a slightly smaller scale. There were rides, roller coasters and my favorites included the soap box car races and the log jammer. I also remember having dinner at Ms. Knott's restaurant quite a few times (I think that was the name) where we ate things like fried chicken, biscuits, salad, where I noticed red cabbage for the first time, pie or cobbler, and a berry drink which was always my favorite. Knott's berry farm is known for boysenberries and products made with them (jams, syrups, etc). What they are not known for-at least not that I know of- are chocolate covered frozen bananas. However, it is forever burned in my mind that whenever we would pass those people selling food in carts around the park, I would get a chocolate frozen banana covered in finely chopped peanuts. Maybe, it was just once. I have no idea. But my little mind likes to think it was every time. Those things have stayed with me as a fond memory ever since, probably because when bananas are frozen they taste a lot like vanilla ice cream, and who doesn't love vanilla ice cream with chocolate sauce and peanuts?

frozen banana bites

frozen banana bites

I saw a recipe for these banana bites on pinterest and knew instantly I had to try them. They are a little different because you cover chunks of the fruit with a melted mixture of both chocolate and peanut butter, and then cover them in shredded coconut. You could just as easily cover them with peanuts, rainbow sprinkles or almonds. I love that you can eat them like a bon bon, are rich so you only need one or two, and are a snap to make.

frozen banana bites

My kids wolfed these down for dessert and my daughter actually requested that I make them for her birthday. The best part is that I felt good about what they were eating. And I won't feel too guilty if after those kids are in bed, I sneak off to the freezer to grab a couple more...

frozen banana bites

Thank you Grandma, for taking me to do such special things when I was little. I remember each and every time.

Frozen Chocolate and Peanut Butter Banana Bites
serves 4

2 ripe bananas
1/3 cup semi sweet or dark chocolate chips
1/3 cup smooth peanut butter or almond butter
2 tablespoons shredded sweetened coconut for sprinkling
wax paper

Peel and chop bananas into 5-6 equal pieces each. Melt the chocolate chips and peanut butter together in a saucepan over very low heat and stir until just combined and chocolate has melted. Dip each banana chunk in the chocolate and peanut butter mixture and place on a wax paper lined sheet pan. Sprinkle the coconut over top and freeze for 2 hours or until hard.

11 comments:

  1. So yummy! I saw these too. Probably from you. If you didn't notice, I went on a repinning Krysta's food rampage. It was AWESOME.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yum these look delicious! Frozen chocolate covered bananas are sometimes just the perfect sweet treat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am DEF making these tonight! Delish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are the new fav in our house!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are the new fav in our house!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mum use to make these all the time when I was little. They were one of my favorites! xo

    ReplyDelete